San Diego Progressive Democratic Club
March 12, 2018
General Association Meeting Minutes
CALL TO ORDER
Meeting called to order at 6:50pm by Jose Caballero.
Welcome and Introduction (Jose Caballero & Andrea Beth Damsky)
The new Executive Board members for club and chapters present are sworn in by Dave Myers
Petitions circulated around the membership (Andrea Beth Damsky):
- State initiative to grant inmates the right to vote.
- Petition to members of the DNC to approve the recommendations of the Unity Commission.
Endorsed candidate’s applications to Our Revolution:
- One candidate has been endorsed, but the news in not yet public.
- The applications of Dave Myers, Geneviéve Jones-Wright, and Ammar Campa have been submitted to Our Revolution.
Motion to approve the agenda (Kevin Lourens)
- Seconded (Lynn Powell-Macklin)
- Motion Passes, agenda approved
Secretary Report (Kevin Lourens)
Treasurer Report (Mike Thaller)
SDPDC has $5675.26 saved, and has spent almost nothing.
Membership Report (Enrique Diaz)
161 members have re-upped for 2018, so members need to renew if they haven’t done so.
Internal Vice Chair (Brian Krohne)
Looking to getting a table at the Roosevelt Dinner, and looking for attendees.
External Vice Chair (Lalo Velasco)
Parliamentarian (Alex White)
- Will be bringing gender-related language in line with state and county party bylaws in the near future.
- Answers a concern on chapter recommendations: chapters must notify their membership 2 weeks in advance of an recommendation for club endorsement.
JOSE CABALLERO’S REPORT ON NGP
Report on costs of NGP
Veterans Committee (Eric Dean)
- The veterans’ issues forum went well featuring Dave Myers, Jim Brown, Veterans for Peace, and Carlos Medina.
- Will be looking into coordinating with Veterans for Peace for the future.
Endorse-A-Rama Committee (Myeshia Williams)
- All statewide offices to be considered.
- Check-in at 9:30am, event starts at 10am.
AREA CHAPTER UPDATES
North Area (Linda Breen)
- Meetings are every first Thursday.
- Moms for Actions was featured last meeting.
East Area (Myeshia Williams)
- Next meeting is on Monday, April 2nd, 6pm at 211 E Main St, El Cajon, CA.
- Meetings are every first Monday.
- April meeting will feature Moms Demand Action, Dave Myers and Scott Shaffer.
- Last Meeting featured the GO Team
- The chapter will be tabling at Grossmont Community College Wednesday March 14th during the school walkout.
West Area (David Wright)
- Next meeting will have a vote on recommendation for San Diego City Council districts 2 and 6.
South Area (Andrea Beth Damsky)
Next meeting will have a vote to recommend local candidates for club endorsement.
The chapter is also looking to fill officerships.
- There were many No Endorsements
- The progressive slate (including Andrea Beth) swept the CDC and will be working on updating old club lists
- Fayaz Nawabi will be helping start a South Asians Caucus for the CDP
- The CD-49th endorsement caucus resulted in No Endorsement
- The Veterans Caucus voted to condemn 6 Democrats who voted to gut the ADA
- Ammar Campa, Sunday Gover, Marggie Castellanos, and Jeff Griffith each received the CDP endorsement in their races.
- The Berniecrats Bash went great!
ALLIED ACTIVIST SPOTLIGHT: Wendy Wheatcroft of Moms Demand Action (MDA)
- MDA gives presentations to organizations including PTAs and gun clubs.
- MDA is planning a lobbying day in Sacramento on April 9th
- They also present in high schools, register voters, and take part in walkouts.
- Next month’s Activist Spotlight is Micah Perlin to speak on his PAC assisting countywide candidates.
CANDIDATE ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPDATES
- Fayaz Nawabi for San Diego City Council District 6
- Endorsed by MLK Club and SEIU 221
- Patrick James Gorvann (speaking for Geneviéve Jones-Wright for county District Attorney)
- Tommy Hough for San Diego City Council District 6
- Katie Meyers (speaking for Ammar Campa for Congressional District 50)
- Alison Hartson for US Senate
- Linda Breen (speaking for Ruben Major for Secretary of State)
- Eric Dean (speaking for Doug Applegate for Congressional District 49)
- Michelle Krug speaking for her free tuition petition
- Jose Caballero speaking for GOTV San Diego
- Helps the 3 Democrats running in countywide races
- March For the Vote event on May 19th, 10am at the County Administration
- Trump Protest scheduled Tuesday March 13th (on SDPDC Facebook page)
- Phonebanks every Thursday for pro-SB 562 candidates (on SDPDC Facebook page)
- Endorse-A-Rama this Sunday March 18th, starting 10am.
- Roosevelt Dinner April 7th. Please speak to Brian Krohne if you wish to join SDPDC at the dinner.
- Dave Myers office opening, Saturday March 17th at 10am, 8240 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
Motion to adjourn meeting at 8:42pm (Andrea Beth)
- Seconded by Fayaz Nawabi
Minutes by Kevin Lourens